~ Poems of Love ~

The following poems have been written by me, for my husband Hamada, who suffered from Multiple Myeloma [IgG Kappa] a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. After many months of chemotherapy, contracting pneumonia twice, once given only twelve hours to live and having three bad fractures to his spine and also showing in his Pelvis, he made it to four years seven months. The Multiple Myeloma attacked his Kidneys first showing at diagnosis in May 2006 leaving Hamada only a small percentage of kidney function. He never complained, using his most amazing smile even when I knew he had severe pain. Hamada underwent a Stem Cell Transplant using his own 'harvested stem cells' . During October 2007 he spent seventeen days in the "Centre For Clinical Haematology" at Nottingham City Hospital UK. where he achieved this transplant. We had a scare at six months after transplant, when told 'the beast was back' but subsequent tests showed a partial remission. Again in early 2009 it was confirmed that Hamada was out of remission He fought again during 2010 with newer chemo type drugs. First with Velcade and then with Revlimid but to no avail. His Kidneys were failing further and Hamada chose not to have dialysis. This blog contains poems and updates, written for Hamada, telling of our life together.
Now a beautiful book has been published, see http://www.susiehemingway.com/books/
showing Hamada's personal fight against Multiple Myeloma in the first fifty 'poems of love' written by me his wife. I hope you like these poems of love and also 'our story' dedicated to Hamada, who passed away peacefully at home on 23 November 2010 after a most courageous fight against Multiple Myeloma.

26 February, 2010

To Fight Again - Thoughts by Susie Hemingway



Late winter months as news imparts
the gravity of this new start
dear God as we begin this fight
in restless days and feverish nights,
as poison flows through damaged veins
please not let this be in vain…
Smaller smiles through struggling days
of waiting for the nausea waves,
understanding strange regimes
jab jab as harsh it always seems,
as draw for tests to go ahead
when all he wants is his fresh clean bed.


Perpetual hours that make me sigh
impatience that since child has always been
and now this purgatory of hopeful scene,
as tedious the walks I make
through lengthy corridors and doors of pain,
please Lord! let there be a gain.
How good the compassionate nurses who
bring solace to my broken warrior,
a smile or a tender word all make a difference,
I notice a gentle hand on his shoulder,
in their relentless comforting care.
I also notice many sitting there,
with their dreams of better days…


My mind whirls as the precious cylindrical vial arrives with pomp and ceremony,
to scientists far away who have tried to bring
with knowledge gained, further days.
It is received with hope and joy
but will it work to overcome?
for this Man who waits expectantly with those oh! so trusting eyes.


A Poem about Chemotherapy February 2010– all rights reserved

16 comments:

Margie said...

Dear Susie
I will keep your husband(and you) in my prayers.

Thank you for sharing your poem.
It made me sad but wonderfully expressed!

God be with the both of you!

Margie

Sunshine said...

Love & Prayers & Hope....

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you Margie for your kind comments - we do need all the prayers but so far everything is not too bad - although very early days in this regime. He really is stalwart and resolute, we need some good results at the end of this and most of all that he is able to continue on it. All best wishes to you x

Jinksy said...

Love and healing vibes to you both...

Susie Hemingway said...

Thanks Jinksy - I'll take both. All best wishes to you x

Sandy said...

I'm sending Reiki and intentions for a good outcome... hope you know that many who do not post are still out here praying with you...

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you dear Sunshine for your good wishes - I hope that all is well with you and dear Don too.

Susie Hemingway said...

Sandy Dear, I hope all is well with you, I am sure the Reiki is helping. Hamada is not too bad, although a busy tiring time with the many trips to Hospital,so just taking it one day at a time, some disturbed nights so when H sleeps so do I. Thank you for your good wishes and for the good vibes and positive thoughts of Reiki.
Bless you x

Michael Morse said...

I've joined Sandy with the power of Reiki, I look at yours and Hamada's picture and let the power of the universe flow through me toward you. The same energy led me to your world, your words have healed me on many occasions, and this particular poem made me aware of how a small gesture of kindness directed toward one of my patients will not only ease their pain, but comfort their loved ones as well. Thank you Susie for reminding me. I sometimes forget that with every person I treat comes many more needing some sign that other people truly care.

Susie Hemingway said...

@ Michael, All is good and positive at the present time. I thank you for your power of thought directed towards us. This energy I am sure is working. We hope that Hamada can continue with this Chemo and addtional powerful drugs as long as possible and time will tell that story.
I feel he will do well because of all the good wishes received on these pages from such good and caring people who take time from their busy days to enter them here.
Thank you so much.

Dave King said...

Your poem has taken me beyond words. It is as lovely as it is sad, but you have hope still, it tells me. I can only wish you both every blessing.

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you so much Dave a comment from the Master is always a thrill to receive.

Ellie Robson said...

Dear Auntie Susie,
Your words continue to astound me - they paint such a vivid picture but there is hope. He is our 'superman'.
Lots of love and positive thoughts to you and the 'Haji'.
Ellie.x

Anonymous said...

Susie, your words sum up exactly what I see and feel when I'm with you both, watching you waiting patiently for the drug which, we hope and pray, promises more precious time. If I could give you anything it would be even more strength to continue the fight. Jenny x

Tom Kenney said...

Susie,

What a wonderful poem about such a nasty drug...albeit very valuable.

I have a couple of people in my life who are just beginning the fight and I'll share your words and website with them.

God watch and keep you and Hamada!

www.theprovidencefireman.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Susie,

I will continue to pray and think positive thoughts for the work you're both doing. And - I know I've said this, but both you and Hamada are incredibly courageous people. Both Martha and I have you in our hearts.

Thank you for the kind words you sent me on the birth of my first grand-child. She is beautiful. And she has a pair of lungs that are unmatched...

Clicky Web Analytics