~ Poems of Love ~

The following poems have been written by me, for my husband Hamada, who suffered from Multiple Myeloma [IgG Kappa] a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. After many months of chemotherapy, contracting pneumonia twice, once given only twelve hours to live and having three bad fractures to his spine and also showing in his Pelvis, he made it to four years seven months. The Multiple Myeloma attacked his Kidneys first showing at diagnosis in May 2006 leaving Hamada only a small percentage of kidney function. He never complained, using his most amazing smile even when I knew he had severe pain. Hamada underwent a Stem Cell Transplant using his own 'harvested stem cells' . During October 2007 he spent seventeen days in the "Centre For Clinical Haematology" at Nottingham City Hospital UK. where he achieved this transplant. We had a scare at six months after transplant, when told 'the beast was back' but subsequent tests showed a partial remission. Again in early 2009 it was confirmed that Hamada was out of remission He fought again during 2010 with newer chemo type drugs. First with Velcade and then with Revlimid but to no avail. His Kidneys were failing further and Hamada chose not to have dialysis. This blog contains poems and updates, written for Hamada, telling of our life together.
Now a beautiful book has been published, see http://www.susiehemingway.com/books/
showing Hamada's personal fight against Multiple Myeloma in the first fifty 'poems of love' written by me his wife. I hope you like these poems of love and also 'our story' dedicated to Hamada, who passed away peacefully at home on 23 November 2010 after a most courageous fight against Multiple Myeloma.

04 March, 2010

A Visit To Oncology Is A Serious Affair - by Susie Hemingway



People’s eyes tell their story
as sitting quietly deep in thought,
magazines remain unread,
heads often bow in contemplation.
A visit to Oncology is a serious affair,
the television that no-one watches
or at least in glancing view
doors that often open
but never seem to be for you.
Faces flushed in anxious stares,
no one likes sitting here
on daily wiped plastic chairs.

The receptionist whose eyes
seem not to engage,
that must be thinking of supper
with her lover or of special days,
perhaps of summer holidays spent
in some sunny Costa’s far away…

You wait thinking best thoughts and
then into the ‘hands clean zone’
weak smiles greet you there,
no holidays for the many connected
to their life lines,
some sucking lollies that cool the fire
that hopefully will cure all,
a visit to Oncology is a serious affair.

The “ding ding dongs” of bleepers
tell in never ending harmony
a different ‘chemo story’ for
those sweet worried faces
sitting here, some of fear;
their eyes resigned to all
that fate may bring.
I look at the signs around the suite
telling of special wigs and treats,
the cleverly placed plaque above my head
that reads
“God give me the serenity to accept
the things I cannot change”
so beautifully written in perfect
flowing Italic hand by someone
who perhaps also spent many hours in this room.

I smile across at the lady opposite me,
her face lights up but
her weary eyes tell me more,
she says “ I’ve seen you before,
it’s a long haul isn’t it? "
Yes” pretty lady with the pink ribbon
on the black scarf covering your head
“it’s a long haul but one we will win”
I shall look for her next week
and pray she is there….

A visit to Oncology is a serious affair….


A Chemo Poem - All rights reserved.@2010

7 comments:

Kristine said...

Thank you for your beautiful insight and sharing the lovely relationship you have with your husband. Peace and Love to you, Kristine

Sid said...

Susie,
Your powers of observation are superb, that's exactly as it is.
Love and good health to Hamada and yourself.
Sid

Michael Morse said...

I walk the halls you so perfectly describe, see the worried looks and feel the fear. I pick the patients off those daily wiped plastic chairs and put them on my daily wiped metal stretcher, and take them out of there. Only when I take them, I think they would rather stay.

Best to you and Hamada, Susie.

Michael Morse said...

Oh my god, that was morbid! I just woke up after a thirty-eight hour shift, wrote that just before shutting my eyes.

Sometimes, people undergoing chemo or dailysis develop chest pain or have their vital signs go erratic and 911 is called for a trip to the emergency room. That's where I come in. It's not nearly as bad as I made it sound, honest!

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you Kristine for your very generous and kind comments, our very best wishes to you also x

Susie Hemingway said...

Hi Sid, Thank you for your comments and for taking time to enter them here. I am glad you found "A Visit To Oncology" as you also see it - I suppose it is different for all of us - but I am pleased you found my observations correct. Do hope you are continuing well.

Susie Hemingway said...

Oh Michael! - with the long days and many hours you work - I am just thrilled that you ever find time to enter your comments here and I value all and everything you say. It is so good to see life from all sides - I am a Carer, this is just my view. I am sure it will be very different for those being treated and again so different for the wonderful Guys and Girls who transport some of us there or return us home once more. I for one thank you for the very valuable and often heartbreaking job you undertake. Stay safe.

Clicky Web Analytics