~ Poems of Love ~

The following poems have been written by me, for my husband Hamada, who suffered from Multiple Myeloma [IgG Kappa] a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. After many months of chemotherapy, contracting pneumonia twice, once given only twelve hours to live and having three bad fractures to his spine and also showing in his Pelvis, he made it to four years seven months. The Multiple Myeloma attacked his Kidneys first showing at diagnosis in May 2006 leaving Hamada only a small percentage of kidney function. He never complained, using his most amazing smile even when I knew he had severe pain. Hamada underwent a Stem Cell Transplant using his own 'harvested stem cells' . During October 2007 he spent seventeen days in the "Centre For Clinical Haematology" at Nottingham City Hospital UK. where he achieved this transplant. We had a scare at six months after transplant, when told 'the beast was back' but subsequent tests showed a partial remission. Again in early 2009 it was confirmed that Hamada was out of remission He fought again during 2010 with newer chemo type drugs. First with Velcade and then with Revlimid but to no avail. His Kidneys were failing further and Hamada chose not to have dialysis. This blog contains poems and updates, written for Hamada, telling of our life together.
Now a beautiful book has been published, see http://www.susiehemingway.com/books/
showing Hamada's personal fight against Multiple Myeloma in the first fifty 'poems of love' written by me his wife. I hope you like these poems of love and also 'our story' dedicated to Hamada, who passed away peacefully at home on 23 November 2010 after a most courageous fight against Multiple Myeloma.

26 April, 2009

Breath Of Life - My Partner - by Susie Hemingway

Fresh blood falls upon our streets
like dark red satin, smooth upon a bed
wild trees blow and hang their limbs
as pain strews all living things,
still within, as snug as partners curl
upon a furry rug in fire glow,
my mind tells me you're safe
my heart knows you are there
you are the sunlight in my arms...

My heart impaled transfixed in fear
when world rocks life so bitter and cruel
this struggle for peace so gently brave,
in quiet times as I survey the scene
and in frightening moments of terror
come fragrant as a summer rose
thoughts of you, to clear my mind,
you are the sunlight in my arms
you are my breath of life...

"How harsh, how tough, these long days
how precious your honourable soul,
how undemanding how much you care,
this ready smile of a brave man
and as you fight for strength, this daily task
your right of sovereignty is quietly protected,
this stillness comes, our land is covered,
lives are changed."

But, you are the sunlight in my arms
Still you are my partner,
Still my breath of life...


This poem is dedicated to the Men and Woman of EMS/ Fire Services, Providence, Rhode Island. USA. and to all Medical Personnel, Fire Fighters and Police Forces World-wide, who have partners and loved ones waiting for them at home.
See: http://rescuing-providence.blogspot.com/2009/03/poetic.html

3rd June 2009. Have heard from Paul Embery, Regional Offical,London Region FBU, that this poem has now been circulated to all members of the London Fire Brigade.

All Rights Reserved @ April 2009

17 comments:

Tim said...

This is just right for all service men/woman. I love it what a marvellous poem full of twists and turns and very profound. Tim

Neil McCormack said...

I used your poem in my personal meditations today. It helped to increase my own sense of gratitude as I close one year and open another. What a courageous couple you are. Hamada has a wonderful smile I sense a great spirit of healing in that smile. You are both very much in my thoughts this evening. Wishing you so many moments of quiet joy even on the cloudiest of days. Neil

Michael Morse said...

I am humbled beyond words. And that is no easy task.

I can hardly wait to share this, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Susie, that is truley beautiful!
I'm honoured that you took the time to write that about those of us who choose this career.
Like Micheal , it's killing me to not post this on my blog right now, but I think it deserves pride of place in "The Handover"

Thank you!

Unknown said...

I agree totally with both Mark and Michael, Susie. Thank you for writing this - it is beautiful. And it definitely needs to be shared on The Handover.

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you Tim and Neil for your very kind comments and for taking the time to make them. All Best Wishes to you.

Susie Hemingway said...

And To: Michael, medicblog999, and Walt, thank you so much for thinking this is worthy, to be enjoyed on "The Handover" As Michael already knows, Hamada and I have much to thank Paramedics for. Their amazing 'life-saving' skills have, on more than one occasion, kept Hamada going, thus enabling him to reach the Hospital 18 Miles away. It is a pleasure to dedicate this Poem to you all.

Anonymous said...

Very impressed once again with your latest poem. My Sister was the wife of a British Firefighter for many years.
Ged Tucker

John said...

dont no really how to do this but I needed to let you know how much this poem means to me and my partner we are all reading it here and really enjoying it thanks.
John. LONDON

Anonymous said...

Well Sister-in-law Susie you've done it again. Another fantastic poem. This poem, carries such emotion and will ring true for all who go out (to help or defend others) into possible danger. But also reflects the feelings of the partners left at home wondering just what is happening. After putting My Wonderful Wife, your Sister, Janey through these emotions during my 28 years in the Fire service in London. What with phone calls cut short by the Alarm Bells ringing, leaving her unsettled until I made contact again. I feel those left behind have the worse time of it. Your poems show your strength and the turmoil of emotions you go through each day as you care for our Lovely Brother-in-law Hamada. Keep up the good work.
Alfie.

Terry ( Tel ) said...

An amazingly deep poem getting right to the heart of those waiting for love ones and in return the thoughts WE have each and everyday, as we try our best to keep London's street's safe. My best wishes to you.

Alf johnson Sub Officer. Retired. said...

Reiterating my comments of 10.36 today, I should have added my London Fire Brigade details. Sorry for the omission. Alf.

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you Alfie for your very kind comments on this poem,it is so nice to read that this appeals to one who knows and understands only too well how difficult at times, the waiting and caring that partners do for their love ones can be. You served us well during your 28 years as a brave and couragous member of our London Fire Fighters. Not only for fire-fighting but also called for severe road traffic accidents. The public have much to be greatful for with this fine service. I for one salute you.

Barry Garley said...

I know you must be devasted about Hamada condition but he certainly seems to have the right attitude to overcome all the difficultie he is faced with and with your love and support and new treatments not too far away, I hope you can look forward to a more optimistic future.

Anonymous said...

Great poem for all firefighters and those they leave at home, we never stop thinking of our partners we love, this is a perfect poem to convey our feelings about them. Thank you Ms Hemingway

Andrew Clark London said...

Thanks for this wonderful poem. We have enjoyed reading it. It works for us all in different ways. For our work partners and our partners at home. They like it very much too.
Andrew Clark London

Pip. NZ said...

thats just beautiful thinking of you, hope is all well there ....pip

Clicky Web Analytics