~ Poems of Love ~

The following poems have been written by me, for my husband Hamada, who suffered from Multiple Myeloma [IgG Kappa] a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. After many months of chemotherapy, contracting pneumonia twice, once given only twelve hours to live and having three bad fractures to his spine and also showing in his Pelvis, he made it to four years seven months. The Multiple Myeloma attacked his Kidneys first showing at diagnosis in May 2006 leaving Hamada only a small percentage of kidney function. He never complained, using his most amazing smile even when I knew he had severe pain. Hamada underwent a Stem Cell Transplant using his own 'harvested stem cells' . During October 2007 he spent seventeen days in the "Centre For Clinical Haematology" at Nottingham City Hospital UK. where he achieved this transplant. We had a scare at six months after transplant, when told 'the beast was back' but subsequent tests showed a partial remission. Again in early 2009 it was confirmed that Hamada was out of remission He fought again during 2010 with newer chemo type drugs. First with Velcade and then with Revlimid but to no avail. His Kidneys were failing further and Hamada chose not to have dialysis. This blog contains poems and updates, written for Hamada, telling of our life together.
Now a beautiful book has been published, see http://www.susiehemingway.com/books/
showing Hamada's personal fight against Multiple Myeloma in the first fifty 'poems of love' written by me his wife. I hope you like these poems of love and also 'our story' dedicated to Hamada, who passed away peacefully at home on 23 November 2010 after a most courageous fight against Multiple Myeloma.

10 August, 2009

This Time I Spent With You - by Susie Hemingway.



It seems to be like yesterday
this time I spent with you,
inscribed within my heart
rust gold and cobalt blues,
unfurled in beauty of this desert place
in infinite dunes that stretched for always
like endless domes diorama,
asking me to look forever not relinquish,
requesting me to see your life.

The warm winds of the Rub' Al Khali
blew gently with your love,
like a sacrament anointed
within the centre of my mind,
awash my heart no clemency
the secrets of your soul,
in whirlpools of the desert
that stole my heart as easily
as the lushness of sepia light.

We ran, and fell upon those sands
while 'drowning' in the heat,
It seems to be like yesterday
the sands beneath my feet,
it seems to be like always
in this bejewelled world of yours
it seems to be forever
the love from you that pours.

My heart stayed in the desert
and this time I spent with you,

this time I spent with you...


*Rub' al Khali Arabic الربع الخالي‎), which translates as Empty Quarter in English is one of the largest sand deserts in the world, encompassing most of the southern third of the Arabian Peninsula, including southern Saudi Arabia, areas of Oman and the United Arab Emirates. It can be cruel but it is breathtaking!

Copyright @ August 2009

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Like falling deeply in love, no? It is leaving yourself so vulnerable that you can be hurt very deeply, but the risk is worth it, I think.
Your poetry causes me to look deeply, to feel deeply and I thank you for the gift.

Susie Hemingway said...

The risk is always worth it Sandy, to be 'in love' but my line of caution in the poem,
" asking me to look forever, not relinquish" is the key - well it has been for me - I married an eqyptian arab but never gave up or changed a thing. I am so glad you grasp my humble poems, your very kind comments please me so. Thank you.

Anne said...

Thanks for this very romantic poem, reminding me of my travels, clever use of words, such love portrayed here Susie.

Lora Conrad said...

Susie - Your exquisite use of adjectives mesmerizes me and I find myself re-reading your words to breathe in the beauty of them again and again. Such a gift you have. Thank you for caring so much about your love that you are willing to share it with all of us.

Michael Morse said...

I save these poems for just the right moments. Things can get a little dreary here in Providence, especially as the hours in the city add up. My office is I dingy little place, a bunk, TV that I never turn on, desk and a computer.

The moments I'm able to escape into the desert, or anywhere your words take me are prescious.

Thanks again.

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank You Anne for your very kind comments and for taking the time to enter them here.

@ Lora, Thank you once again for your always very generous comments..you know the road only too well that we are walking... perhaps that is why you understand my poems so well. Bless you x

@ Micheal, It really pleases me to know that you perhaps read one of my poems late in the night when things have quieten for a moment, from the tough work you so valiantly do. That perhaps they can distract you for a few moments during a long shift. I get some amazing comments here, somehow this was so nice to know and nice to imagine. Keep Safe.

Mark said...

This is a most romantic verse making me believe in love. I like your words and the way you weave them.

Barbara - Myeloma Warrior said...

Sent via email: I admire your absolute strength and your poetry is like hearing music... so soft and calming and reassuring..
Barbara

Clicky Web Analytics