~ Poems of Love ~

The following poems have been written by me, for my husband Hamada, who suffered from Multiple Myeloma [IgG Kappa] a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. After many months of chemotherapy, contracting pneumonia twice, once given only twelve hours to live and having three bad fractures to his spine and also showing in his Pelvis, he made it to four years seven months. The Multiple Myeloma attacked his Kidneys first showing at diagnosis in May 2006 leaving Hamada only a small percentage of kidney function. He never complained, using his most amazing smile even when I knew he had severe pain. Hamada underwent a Stem Cell Transplant using his own 'harvested stem cells' . During October 2007 he spent seventeen days in the "Centre For Clinical Haematology" at Nottingham City Hospital UK. where he achieved this transplant. We had a scare at six months after transplant, when told 'the beast was back' but subsequent tests showed a partial remission. Again in early 2009 it was confirmed that Hamada was out of remission He fought again during 2010 with newer chemo type drugs. First with Velcade and then with Revlimid but to no avail. His Kidneys were failing further and Hamada chose not to have dialysis. This blog contains poems and updates, written for Hamada, telling of our life together.
Now a beautiful book has been published, see http://www.susiehemingway.com/books/
showing Hamada's personal fight against Multiple Myeloma in the first fifty 'poems of love' written by me his wife. I hope you like these poems of love and also 'our story' dedicated to Hamada, who passed away peacefully at home on 23 November 2010 after a most courageous fight against Multiple Myeloma.

12 May, 2009

Life Is Fragile..Love Is Not - by Susie Hemingway


So spins our lives in turning chasms of change,
blurred and slippery as water
cascading over slimy rocks,
my wordless gesture in trouble times
invades your worried mind,
fiercely as the brushing hand to restless horse,
my smile confirms, to reassure your fretful gaze.
As hell as life sometimes appears,
in daily disclosing of newer pain,
my heart swoops and suffers,
my misty eyes my soul knows
life is fragile but love is not.

As birds black and shiny soar
to 'crow' in noisy rattle begin,
another nasty turn like sin,
to stab in pain, to etch within,
to reproduce in making bold this latest evidence,
dismissing in magicians wand, I wave again
I wave again...
To struggle and plunge I flounder there
impeach myself but always care,
frightened damp and cold
my misty eyes, my soul knows,
life is fragile, but love is not
love is not...

All Rights Reserved @ May 2009


Excerpt from United Press:

Your poem " Life Is Fragile - Love Is Not" has been recognized as one of the best poems this year and to mark this fact we wish to publish it to a new book called Whispers On A Breeze a showcase of the best work of a group of Poets. This book will be ready for publishing soon can be ordered at all good bookshops.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is special Susie.

Barry ( facebook) said...

Thank you again and for the chance to read your moving poems
from Barry

Betty Mc Cuslin said...

I spent the entire morning reading and wondering how you have the time to reach out to others with all the care that you have given to Hamada.
I can confirm for him that he tells you nothing of his pain and that he is so grateful to have you and does not want to worry you, tears fill my eyes as I envisioned you and your love and tenderness with Hamada.
Betty Mc Cuslin MM sufferer for four years

Sandy said...

Dear Susie --I read your words, having recently found the love of my life, knowing how much you wish to change the course of this awful disease and I pray daily for the little miracles that may bring you comfort. Your poems are touching beyond my words to express, and I appreciate you for sharing them.

Michael Morse said...

Thank you Susie for giving me a reason to slow down, and appreciate the magic simple words when put together so elequently work on a tired and sometimes bitter soul.

Charles Nethaway USA said...

It is lovely to be able to articulate your feelings when you are a caregiver for a loved one who is fighting the beast. I wish I was in England to hear a reading.
Charles Nethaway.

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you Betty for your lovely email and comments...I am sure that you are right about Hamada keeping much from me..still sometimes I know from his eyes and when moving...that is often when he struggles a bit. I hope all is not too bad at the moment for you..I will be thinking of you daily. Sending my very best wishes.
Hugs x

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you so much Sandy for your lovely comments...my heart 'sings' for the finding of your new love...how wonderful it must be.
Hugs Susie

Clicky Web Analytics