~ Poems of Love ~

The following poems have been written by me, for my husband Hamada, who suffered from Multiple Myeloma [IgG Kappa] a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. After many months of chemotherapy, contracting pneumonia twice, once given only twelve hours to live and having three bad fractures to his spine and also showing in his Pelvis, he made it to four years seven months. The Multiple Myeloma attacked his Kidneys first showing at diagnosis in May 2006 leaving Hamada only a small percentage of kidney function. He never complained, using his most amazing smile even when I knew he had severe pain. Hamada underwent a Stem Cell Transplant using his own 'harvested stem cells' . During October 2007 he spent seventeen days in the "Centre For Clinical Haematology" at Nottingham City Hospital UK. where he achieved this transplant. We had a scare at six months after transplant, when told 'the beast was back' but subsequent tests showed a partial remission. Again in early 2009 it was confirmed that Hamada was out of remission He fought again during 2010 with newer chemo type drugs. First with Velcade and then with Revlimid but to no avail. His Kidneys were failing further and Hamada chose not to have dialysis. This blog contains poems and updates, written for Hamada, telling of our life together.
Now a beautiful book has been published, see http://www.susiehemingway.com/books/
showing Hamada's personal fight against Multiple Myeloma in the first fifty 'poems of love' written by me his wife. I hope you like these poems of love and also 'our story' dedicated to Hamada, who passed away peacefully at home on 23 November 2010 after a most courageous fight against Multiple Myeloma.

23 November, 2010

The Start Of A Final Journey.

Just a short update for those who are awaiting news of our dear Hamada, especially our family in Egypt. Hamada has started his final journey home to rest. Yesterday a wonderful nurse from the Macmillan support team came to visit at home and confirmed what I already knew. Hamada is slipping quietly to his resting place. He is no longer speaking or drinking he has a 'rattle' on his chest and his body is slowly shutting down. I have spent all of the night hours watching over him, catching small naps when I can.

The Doctor is to arrive shortly and will bring or prescribe all necessary drugs to administer by injections or patches for Hamada's comfort now that he is not swallowing well.

For the nurses who I know read this web-blog: Hamada did not pass urine for 24 hours, but today some, which I believe shows his kidneys have not completely shut down yet. It is a much better way for him to 'pass' if they do.
As our Jo said, perhaps this is our last miracle for this journey to end peacefully this way and I pray with all my heart for this to be for my beloved Warrior. It is also possible that he will stay in this 'dream like' state for a few more days yet, although I do not believe so, he is extremely weak now.

My dear sister Jenny and brother-in-law Ian, lovingly came this morning to help me tenderly bathe him and to change linens and to make Hamada smell just like I know he loves, all friends will know how fussy Hamada is with his love of good cologne. He is peaceful and in no pain, dearly sweet and surrounded with much love.

7 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

Thinking of you
xxx

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Susie,
Assuring you of my prayers for you *all*, and especially praying that your wonderfully courageous Hamada may have a gentle and peaceful passing into his eternal rest.......

love and hugs from us all.

Margaret said...

Ditto...

Dianne in Nevada said...

This will be a very special time of love for you, Susie, and I pray for a very peaceful passing for Hamada. I'm holding you both in my heart today and always.

Lorna A. said...

Dear Susie.
You are all in our thoughts at what must be an extremely difficult time. Love from both of us. xx xx

Anonymous said...

Susie, I am so very sorry for your loss. Tears were shed reading your post of his passing. I am thankful that Hamada passed peacefully. Your great Warior, your Superman, your love, was a gentlemen to the very end. May you find peace and comfort knowing that he is in total peace and has no pain and suffering. I wish I could have met the man that led you to and encouraged you to write such beautiful poetry. He had to be a very special man to do that. I know that I cannot say anything that will make you feel better but do know that I care very much and that I am praying for peace and comfort for you and your family. I know you have friends all over the world who wish they could be with you now but cannot. Love and prayers, Joan Kahley

balswami said...

i like it

Clicky Web Analytics