~ Poems of Love ~

The following poems have been written by me, for my husband Hamada, who suffered from Multiple Myeloma [IgG Kappa] a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. After many months of chemotherapy, contracting pneumonia twice, once given only twelve hours to live and having three bad fractures to his spine and also showing in his Pelvis, he made it to four years seven months. The Multiple Myeloma attacked his Kidneys first showing at diagnosis in May 2006 leaving Hamada only a small percentage of kidney function. He never complained, using his most amazing smile even when I knew he had severe pain. Hamada underwent a Stem Cell Transplant using his own 'harvested stem cells' . During October 2007 he spent seventeen days in the "Centre For Clinical Haematology" at Nottingham City Hospital UK. where he achieved this transplant. We had a scare at six months after transplant, when told 'the beast was back' but subsequent tests showed a partial remission. Again in early 2009 it was confirmed that Hamada was out of remission He fought again during 2010 with newer chemo type drugs. First with Velcade and then with Revlimid but to no avail. His Kidneys were failing further and Hamada chose not to have dialysis. This blog contains poems and updates, written for Hamada, telling of our life together.
Now a beautiful book has been published, see http://www.susiehemingway.com/books/
showing Hamada's personal fight against Multiple Myeloma in the first fifty 'poems of love' written by me his wife. I hope you like these poems of love and also 'our story' dedicated to Hamada, who passed away peacefully at home on 23 November 2010 after a most courageous fight against Multiple Myeloma.

16 November, 2010

This Must Be An Honest Journal.

Hamada has now received two whole blood units and one of platelets which took six hours, being slowly transfused as to protect the remaining kidney function. Still from Friday evening Hamada has been suffering from an extremely bad headache and he has vomited several times. I have been carefully monitoring his blood pressure and temperature which have both been raised and at one time gave great cause for concern leading me to phone the Doctor for further advice on getting this pain under control. It was not a pain in a single place but around the temples and something like a migraine type headache affecting his eyes. Giving gentle massage to the area seems to help some. It has been an anxious four days I must admit but being as honest as I can, I feel his kidneys are shutting down and we are approaching the end.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I got migraines, tablets eased it a tiny bit and I know you and H are limited in this respect, something that kind of helped was Japanese peppermint oil (allowing it could be used) rubbed onto the relevant bit, head or neck. The other thing was cold. One of those wheat bags kept in the freezer or those children's cool forehead patches. The Poundland ones are just as effective as the chemist ones. I am not going to pretend they made it go away but I found them really soothing. And a talking point if I answered the door in one! xx

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Is Hamada in pain from these bruises, Susie ?

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you for this valuable advice Feresaknit. I tried many things but the one that seem to help the most was a cool facecloth placed over head and eyes and then replaced as it warmed-up. Hamada seemed to get the most relief from this. It seems to be reducing now and I am less worried. X

Susie Hemingway said...

@ Elizabeth@ The Garden Window: Hamada does not have pain from these bruises but I suppose it would be hard to really know as he is at the high end of pain killers to help with his lower back pain.

As I have written before he rarely complains but he was very distressed with this head pain and of course I dont think Myeloma has any place it stays away from! including the head. Such is this wretched disease. X

tim's wife said...

Praying for you both. I'm so sorry to hear of this latest news. Migraine-type headaches are often caused by the blood vessels flairing open and blood pounding against the walls of these vessels. They say that sometimes placing cold packs on the back of the neck can help. Hope H feels better real soon.

Roobeedoo said...

I wish I could make things easier for you! All I can think of is arnica cream for the bruising. Gentle hugs!

Sandy said...

I would also have recommended the arnica gel for the bruising, but the cause of the bruising is what needs to be addressed, not just resolving them. It sounds like he is not getting enough 'clotting' action in his blood - is this so? How very worrisome this all must be for you. I also send gentle hugs to you both.

Susie Hemingway said...

Thanks all for your wise and kind comments here.

@ Sandy - Yes clotting has been addressed and there is a little improvement since receiving the extra platelets last Friday but transfusions each time put a great strain on the remining Kidneys - a very difficult situation has now arisen ( see latest post ) Hamada has such a terrible headache since last transfusion - possibly caused by the further lowing of kidney function, A very difficult balancing act,he is on Morphine once again, to help ease this pain and make him more comfortable.
All very best wishes X

Margaret said...

Could pomegranate juice possibly help Hamada's kidneys, even a little bit? Have a look at this new study on pomegranate juice and kidney disease patients: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101119083126.htm
Hugs from Florence...Thinking of you both...

Anonymous said...

Total Control Marketing Review- Great piece of details that you?ve received on this website article. Hope I could possibly get some a lot more of the stuff on your own web site. I will arrive again.

Anonymous said...

This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

Mamacita Lucy said...

I'm proud to say now that I am finally at a place where I have found something that works for me. Almost four years ago I began seeing a classical Homeopath. I was put on a constitutional remedy by Dr Itua herbal center who reside in west africa, and I am amazed at my healing thus far. I will continue to post what worked for me and what didn't in more blogs to come (as this one is getting quite long... and I'm not writing a book here - not yet anyway). This discovery has not only helped the way I practice, but it has also given me further insight into the world of Herbal medicine. I came to know more about Dr Itua on Tv Station when I was taking my regular organic coffee at javamania coffee spot I watched the whole scene on how he uses Natural herbs to cure disease like Herpes, Hiv/Aids, Cancers,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Multiple myeloma, Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,Alzheimer's disease, chronic diarrhea, COPD, Parkinson's disease, Als And Diabetes, I was moved by his words then I took a confident step to contact him regarding my health condition Herpes & Prostate Cancer, He prepared his herbal medicine then sent it to me through Courier which I took as it's was instructed and I found myself healing symptoms are all gone I have being watching my health for years now and I finally confirmed that is a permanent cure like he told me at our first conversations so now I'm healthy and happy I purchase his herbal tea which I usually take in the morning before starting my day because it feels good to find addiction on natural herbs than medical drugs so is what I'm doing and loving it more and More to come later on blogs sooner I will be writing my book.
I will advise you to contact Doctor Itua Herbal Center for any kind of permanent cure and herbal remedy.
Doctor Itua Email Contact: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Also On Whats-App Calls: +2348149277967.

Clicky Web Analytics