~ Poems of Love ~

The following poems have been written by me, for my husband Hamada, who suffered from Multiple Myeloma [IgG Kappa] a cancer of the plasma cells, which are found in the bone marrow. After many months of chemotherapy, contracting pneumonia twice, once given only twelve hours to live and having three bad fractures to his spine and also showing in his Pelvis, he made it to four years seven months. The Multiple Myeloma attacked his Kidneys first showing at diagnosis in May 2006 leaving Hamada only a small percentage of kidney function. He never complained, using his most amazing smile even when I knew he had severe pain. Hamada underwent a Stem Cell Transplant using his own 'harvested stem cells' . During October 2007 he spent seventeen days in the "Centre For Clinical Haematology" at Nottingham City Hospital UK. where he achieved this transplant. We had a scare at six months after transplant, when told 'the beast was back' but subsequent tests showed a partial remission. Again in early 2009 it was confirmed that Hamada was out of remission He fought again during 2010 with newer chemo type drugs. First with Velcade and then with Revlimid but to no avail. His Kidneys were failing further and Hamada chose not to have dialysis. This blog contains poems and updates, written for Hamada, telling of our life together.
Now a beautiful book has been published, see http://www.susiehemingway.com/books/
showing Hamada's personal fight against Multiple Myeloma in the first fifty 'poems of love' written by me his wife. I hope you like these poems of love and also 'our story' dedicated to Hamada, who passed away peacefully at home on 23 November 2010 after a most courageous fight against Multiple Myeloma.

09 November, 2010

Changes.


When I started this blog more than four years ago I promised always to tell how it is for a Carer of someone with MM. It was important for me that my poems conveyed a little story of the days that unfolded on this journey. Sometimes the truth of my feelings may hurt more than at other times. I try to think of other MM sufferers, I truly do. Then of course those that maybe hurt by my thoughts here, will not subscribe. So I continue through these most difficult days. The following two verses describe my feelings during a very lovely birthday weekend for Hamada. Our son Jo spent a special time with his Father, we had a celebratory meal together and all in all it was a perfect weekend. Except for one thing although I suppose I have always seen Hamada through 'rose tinted glasses'. I could now see clearly what I suppose others can see and have notice for some time, visual changes to my dear man's face.


Extract from "Changes"

The once thought improbable
is happening Darling Man,
I cannot close my eyes
to forget these brown eyes fading,
I cannot shut my mind for all I need
is to see your smile.


These brutal changes tear at your resistance
this beloved face is changing
dissolving and vanishing from view
but never from my heart.
I can at last, see this Beast Within.

Changes... So many changes...

All Rights Reserved November 2010
Unabridged version of "Changes" is now on http://www.susiehemingway.com

10 comments:

Dianne in Nevada said...

Oh Susie - please don't worry about how others may react to your beautiful words. If that is the rule, then I shouldn't be posting anything anywhere in my current state. I find that it is helpful to share experiences, and others have the option to read or not ... but it is far more important for us to get those words out. Especially you, with your wonderful gift for writing.

I understand these difficult days and how heart-wrenching it is to recognize the "Changes" the beast brings to our precious men. As I look back at some photos now I wonder how I could not possibly have seen the dramatic changes taking place. Love indeed helps us to look through 'rose tinted glasses'.

You're always in my heart ♥

Lorna A. said...

Well you've had me in tears again dear Susie. I really appreciate your blog as it helps me feel that I am not alone as I walk with Mike on his Myeloma journey.
Now that he has his central line in, the weeks until December 6th are flying by and it all seems so very real all of a sudden.
Thinking of you both. x x

Lileng said...

Dear Susie,   
As always, the words in in your poems touch my heart, because you speak from the deepest recess of your own heart. Yet "Changes" inevitably will come our way. You lovingly and bravely look on with such endearment on your beloved's face, "rose-tinted" only through your eyes, almost and always refusing to turn away, for to gaze away is surely losing precious time with him.
I am all persuaded to believe Hamada to be such a beauty, a handsome man. For indeed he must be, to you, the love of your life!

Roobeedoo said...

You write from experience and that is what is so important. Your integrity. Thank you for writing from the heart.

Sandy said...

These changes are grievous to be sure and the anguish of it all is sometimes almost unbearable; except that when the burden is shared the heaviness of it is lessened - that is what you do so well. Those who cannot appreciate the purpose of the sharing are the losers... you and your precious Hamada are in my thoughts often.

Steven L. Ritter said...

I pick the blogs that tell me the things that I really need to know. Not what people think I should know, not what is screened through the prism of not hurting my feelings or scaring me and not the everything will be OK glasses. Me, being the MM person, need to KNOW what is real. What I can truly expect. An honest view of this cancer. It is truly a blessing to read your blog and please NEVER candy coat your observations and feelings. However, I will still pray for healing and courage for you and Hamada.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Susie,
how hard this must be for you all....

Noelle Dunn.... A Poet in Progress said...

your words break my heart today...though your continued strength inspires me...hugs to you dear Susie and to Hamada.

Susie Hemingway said...

Thank you for all the kind comments left here. I welcome them all and feel such support from them. These are most difficult days and making the right decisions for someone you love is very stressful. I value all that is entered here. Many thanks for time taken from your busy days.

pamela drews said...

I’m giving a testimony about Dr. KOKOBI the great Herbalist, he has the
cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my  breast cancer, though I
went through different website I saw different testimonies about
different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: ‘Many people have
the breast cancer remedy, So why are people still suffering from it?’ I thought of
it, then I decided to contact kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com , I didn’t believe him that
much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed
some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it
(CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery,
he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I
will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him
and I went for check-up 1 week after finishing the medicine, I was
tested breast cancer negative, if you are breast cancer patient or any cancer patient at all. Do me
a favour for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make
sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that
I referenced you.. contact him via: kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com You can also message him on whatsapp +254746618873 and for more info message me @ pamela.drews77@gmail.com

Clicky Web Analytics